Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Trip to 3M

The day started early for us. We were herded into a seminar room and attended a brief but engaging introductory presentation, during which we were exposed to many of 3M's products, including some innovative and interesting ones like waterproof bandages. Additionally, we were given a more comprehensive understanding of 3M as a whole and its significance in 46 major fields today. 

During the trip, I managed to learn about how innovative design can be applied even in a factory setting. For example, I noticed the use of a sloped roof on top of the lockers in the factory, which would prevent accumulation of dirt and rubbish on top of the lockers that is often seen in other places. I felt this was quite interesting and it was a novelty to me, a simple example of innovation to solve a simple problem. The solution was not overly complicated, but effective nonetheless, and I feel that this is a valuable lesson indeed. 

I also managed to learn about how design, procedure and maintenance combine in creating a high-standard operating environment, namely the clean room. All of the structural and procedural features related to the "clean room" were targeted at maintaining an optimal air quality to ensure the best possible environment in which to develop the products. Maintenance is done as a back-up, to ensure that nothing is amiss. I felt that this multi-pronged approach to achieving a goal, which involves applying several strategies at the same time, is also worth learning from. 

For my part, I found the trip quite enjoyable as well, and I enjoyed the plant tour as it was very illuminating and gave me an idea of a standard factory setting in large global firms like 3M. 

I found this trip to be extremely enlightening, and I look forward to similar experiences in the future. 




No comments:

Post a Comment